A Guideline To The Basics Of Project Communication Management
Communication management is the key to the smooth functioning of any project. Deadlines and deliverables depend on effective communication, which, in turn, aids in strengthening the relationship between the company handling the project and its client.
Communications management is about keeping everybody connected. The planning process involves:
- Defining the different types of information being delivered.
- Determining the recipients.
- Becoming familiar with the format of communication and the timing of its release and distribution.
Additionally, effective communications management is vital for project control. Thus, project communication management is the collection of processes that ensure that the right information is sent to, received by, and understood by the right people. Additionally, the timing of the communication is also crucial.
The different facets of a project — the documentation, language, tools, and resources of project management — are all covered under project control. Communications, in general, are responsible for systems, progress monitoring, and the human element in detail. There are three processes that come under project communication management:
- Plan communications management
- Monitor communications
- Manage communications
Plan Communication Management and Manage Human Resources:
The primary step is obviously to create an effective project management plan. The main purpose of this plan is to assure the free flow of information and data across projects and through the organization. This flow is organized in such a way that provides complete information transfer through the project management group, where it is filtered and passed forward to all relevant personnel.
- Deciding Objectives and Determining Audience: This decides the purpose of the communication, which in turn decides the medium of its passing. For instance, awareness can be communicated using a status report. The audience comprises all those who have a certain something to gain or lose from this project. the list includes members, sponsors, and customers
- Form The Content of the Message and Choose a Medium for Delivery: The crux of the communication is the content of the message it is delivering. Key components include scope, schedule, budget, deliverable, and risk. The channel for delivery of the message should also be determined based on the recipient.
- Maintain a Timeline: Timelines are key for effective communication.
The Benefits of Effective Planning Include:
- Improved morale and attitudes
- Increased performance and hence productivity
- Inculcate leadership qualities in all levels of management
- Removal of miscommunications about objectives
- Enhanced relationship between union members
- Improved interaction between disciplines involved
Monitor Communications: This was previously known as control of communications. It involves monitoring and controlling project communications throughout the project lifecycle. This includes the following:
- Communications go out as planned
- Receiving I not a problem by the appropriate people
- Messages managed to be understood
- Any relevant feedback
Manage Communications: This Includes the Following:
- Collection and analyzing of data
- Creating communication messages
- Distribution and transmission of these messages
- Storage of these communication files, reports, or documents
- Disposal of outdated communication channels
- Retrieval of stored communications
At KW Productions, we offer a fresh perspective on quantifying and measuring culture and modeling change management software. Our various assessment tools, including the F-SET Inventory, cater to various aspects of project management, one of the most crucial aspects of which is effective leadership. We offer top-of-the-line innovative tools that spark change and predict future potential in employees and organizations. In addition, we assist in the assessment and prediction of individual organization.
Dr. Karen Walker
Personnel Research Psychologist at Department of Justice
Founder of KW Productions